Saturday 16 February 2013

Aubergine, Lemon and Sultana Salad


(Adapted from The Italian Kitchen Bible)

Anyone who knows me knows I love my veggies! My favorites being Spinach & Aubergine (aka Eggplant)! So you can imagine my excitement when my brother returned from his farm with freshly harvested produce, and brought me a whole bunch aubergine! {You gotta love big brothers!} 
My excitement got the best of me and I decided to try a new recipe. Out came my trusty Italian cookbook and I found the little gem that I’ll be sharing today.



Ingredients:
1 large aubergine
4 tablespoons olive oil
Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons sultanas*
12 stoned green olives
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Salt and pepper



 Cut the aubergine into 1 inch cubes. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and cook the aubergines over medium heat for about 10 minutes, tossing regularly, until golden brown and softened. (You may need to do this in two batches) Drain on kitchen paper and sprinkle with a little salt.

 Place the aubergine cubes in a large serving bowl, toss with the lemon rind and juice, currants, olives and chopped parsley and season well with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature.

Cook’s tips:
Make sure the aubergine is well cooked until it is melt-in-your-mouth soft. This will taste even better when made the day before. Serve at room temperature. It will store, covered in the fridge, for up to 4 days. To enrich this dish to serve on its own as a main course, add toasted nuts and shavings of Parmesan cheese. Serve with crusty bread or pasta.

*{the recipe called for capers which I didn't have – I substituted with the sultanas to add a little sweetness to the dish to balance out the sharp taste of the olives}



I loved the result of this dish. I served it with Roasted Potatoes {a simple but delicious recipe that I will share shortly} and Split Pea stew. It is a simple quick healthy and delicious dinner that I highly recommend! It would be a great stay-home-dinner-date meal that would definitely impress your other half.



No comments:

Post a Comment